Publisher: Chronicle

Celebrate the Haul-idays with Chronicle Books (2nd annual)

Attention Book Bloggers and those who just love books:
Chronicle Books, publisher extraordinaire based in San Francisco, is helping us celebrate the holidays with a chance to win
$500 worth of Chronicle titles!
In addition, new this year, Chronicle Books will give
$500 of books to a charity of your choice.
Introducing
Celebrate the Haul-idays with Chronicle Books
If you’re a blogger, create your own list and add your own blog.
If you’re not a blogger, comment in the comments field on my blog for your own chance to win a Chronicle haul.

The hardest part of entering this contest? Keeping my list to only $500! Chronicle is one of my favorite publishers: the innovative design of their books, the unique children’s books they acquire, and the saucy adult books they publish all combine to make looking through the Chronicle catalogue similar to looking through a shoe catalogue (for me, anyway) – as in something to savor in my favorite chair with a glass of wine and an open checkbook.
If I win, I would like $500 worth of books to be given to ReadBoston.

As the rules request, here is my list of Chronicle titles I would love to haul in if my blog name is picked to win. My own rule: No choosing books I chose last year. For last year’s list, go here.

THE 2011 LIST
Children’s Titles

Black Cat Bone by J. Patrick Lewis, illustrated by Gary Kelley (9781568461946, $24.95)

I’m not sure this is actually a children’s book,
but I can’t wait to see the rest of the illustrations.

The Conductor by Laetitia Devernay (9781452104911, $18.95)

Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner, illustrated by Christopher Silas Neal (9780811867849, $16.99)
The Story of Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman, illustrated by Christopher Bing (9781593541996, $18.95)
A classic reimagined by a Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator.

The Orphan of Awkward Falls by Keith Graves (9780811878142, $16.99)

This looks like a delightfully gothic tale for middle grade readers.
And the author’s last name is “graves”!
Also, it’s illustrated. Score.

A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns by Woop (9781452104928, $17.99)

I have a deep, DEEP love of alphabet books.
It’s a sickness really.

Young Adult
F in Exams: The Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers by Richard Benson (9780811878319, $9.95)
I really need two copies of this – one for each parent,
both of whom are educators and need this book in their offices.
I got this for my BFF years ago.
Time to get my own copy.
Spinning Out by David Stahler, Jr. (9780811877800, $16.99)
This looks like one of those realistic fiction YA novels with SO much potential.
I hope it lives up to it.
Adult Titles

Cookbooks
Cooking at the Kasbah: Recipes from My Moroccan Kitchen by Kitty Morse, photographs by Laurie Smith (9780811815031, $22.95)
For my amazing Momma, who just came back from 2 weeks in Morocco.
Fast, Fresh, & Green by Susie Middleton, photographs by Ben Fink (9780811865661, $24.95)
I really do love veggies,
and am always looking for new ways to cook them.
Handheld Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Rachel Wharton, photographs by Ellen Silverman (9781452102146, $19.95)
Saveur: The New Comfort Food from the Editors of Saveur Magazine (9780811878012, $35)
The more comfort food, the better.

Fiction
The Doorbells of Florence by Andrew Losowsky (9780811866491, $18.95)
Even if I don’t win this, I’m buying it.
It looks that good.
Windflower by Nick Bantock and Edoardo Ponti (9780811843522, $24.95)
Loved Nick Bantock’s Griffin & Sabine books.
Figured I’d give this one a try.
Non-Fiction

Ghostly Ruins: America’s Forgotten Architecture by Harry Skrdla (9781568986159, $29.95)
Ghosts! Ruined architecture! What’s not to love?
Little Book of Letterpress by Charlotte Rivers, foreward by Yee-Haw Industries (9780811875073, $24.95)
Drool.
Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style by Sibella Court, photographs by Chris Court (9781452104966, $40)
Because this is what I want my home to be like.
To Each His Home by Bilyana Dimitrova (9781568987965, $45)
As a perpetual nester, this book could become my Bible.

Notecards
 So my grandmother and I can have pretty cards to use to write to each other.
Lotta Jansdotter Notecard Book (9780811860109, $15.95)
For my Babci (grandmother in Polish).
Hammerpress Correspondence Cards (9780811859615, $13.95)
For me.

15 thoughts on “Celebrate the Haul-idays with Chronicle Books (2nd annual)

1. Ahhh, Chronicle! Love that publisher, too.I know you love alphabet books, but I love collective noun books. Okay, so I only own one (An Exaltation of Larks), but with this book it could be the beginning of a lovely collection, don't you think?

Posted by As the Crowe Flies and Reads | November 13, 2011, 2:29 pm
  2. I've never read An Exaltation of Larks, but I've put that on my list now. It DOES sound like it could be the start of a good collection. Let me know if you come across any others.

Posted by Broche E.B. Fabian | November 13, 2011, 7:33 pm
  3. ReadBoston sounds like a great organization. Wish we had a "ReadSanDiego" :)Feel free to comment back on my post:the bookish mamaHappy holidays!

Posted by Jasmine Marie | November 26, 2011, 6:13 am
  4. The Doorbells of Florence is on several of the blogs! Good luck with the competition.

Posted by Mystica | November 26, 2011, 10:27 pm
  5. Way to challenge yourself! I ended up buying several from my list last year so I had to get creative this year too. :)Good luck!

Posted by Rhianna | November 27, 2011, 7:14 pm
  6. I have cookbooks on my list too but you have a few I didn't even see.

Posted by Leslie | November 27, 2011, 11:36 pm
  7. Great pick of the cookbooks I love it. Lots of other goodies to.amhengst at verizon dot net

Posted by ann | November 28, 2011, 2:55 am
  8. Great variety! Both F in Exams and Handheld Pies are on my list 🙂 Good luckthrouthehaze at gmail dot com

Posted by throuthehaze | November 28, 2011, 11:12 am
  9. great list! good luck!

Posted by TRAN! (www.thinktran.com) | November 28, 2011, 6:18 pm
  10. My grandson fell in love with Keith Graves' "Frank was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance"..can't wait to read this new one!fun list..would love to have that stash..so, good luck to both of us ;DjeaneC from CAjcamp2020 at ap;

Posted by jcamp2020 | November 28, 2011, 7:03 pm
  11. I love the cookbooks most of all! Good luck!

Posted by nfmgirl | November 30, 2011, 3:04 am
  12. Even though we don't share a single title on our respective lists, I would be just as happy to receive yours as I would be receiving mine!Good luck to you!knittingandsundries(at)gmail(dot)com

Posted by Julie @ Knitting and Sundries | December 2, 2011, 10:27 pm
  13. Super choices! I love how everyone's list is completely different. Stop by Book Dirt and comment for a shot at my (completely different) list. Good luck!

Posted by Kelly Robinson | December 5, 2011, 4:13 pm
  14. Love the variety!

Posted by JJ | December 8, 2011, 6:18 am

Last night, I finished WHAT THE NIGHT SINGS by @vesperillustration. This morning, I woke up and poured my heart into a review. This YA historical fiction novel comes out February 2018 from @penguinrandomhouse, and is one of those meaningful books everyone should read as a reminder of both the inhuman degradation people are capable of and the resilience of the human spirit. Powerful, enchanting, and putting forth two perspectives we don't often see in Holocaust literature : a secular Jewish perspective and the significance of music.
@knopfteen @aaknopf @getunderlined #readstagram #readwithme #readmore #reading #read #instaread #instabook #indiesfirst #shoplocal #bookstore #bookshop #bookshelves #book #books #bookrec #bookworm #bookish #booklove #booklover #bookreview #bookcover #dog #dogs #dogsofinstagram #instadog #redheeler #jewish #holocaust #yareads #whatthenightsings Got my presents wrapped! (Not pictured - the three packages I already sent out.) Guess how many presents are books or book-related?
#gifts #giftwrapping #presents #booksmakegreatgifts #readstagram #readwithme #readmore #reading #read #instaread #instabook #indiesfirst #shoplocal #bookstore #bookshop #bookshelves #book #books #bookrec #bookworm #bookish #booklove #booklover Two books of short stories destined to be friends: THE LARGESSE OF THE SEA MAIDEN by the late Denis Johnson (pub 1/16/18 @randomhouse) and THE SEA BEAST TAKES A LOVER by Michael Andreasen (pub 02/2018 @duttonbooks)
#readstagram #readwithme #readmore #reading #read #instaread #instabook #indiesfirst #shoplocal #bookstore #bookshop #bookshelves #book #books #bookrec #bookworm #bookish #booklove #booklover #nyp #shortstories Feeling this today, wishing I had time to write. Thank you for the inspiration @literarysupply & Maya Angelou!
#mayaangelou #litquote #quotes #quoteoftheday #totebag #bookstagram