Series: Book Blogger Hop, Series: Follow Friday

Book Blogger Hop & Follow Friday

Busy week, work-wise, meaning slow week, blogging-wise, but I’m always thrilled to participate in the weekly Book Blogger Hop and Follow Friday memes.

This week’s Book Blogger Hop question:

What book are you most looking forward to seeing published in 2011? Why are you anticipating that book?

I think I’m going to have to pull from a previous Waiting-on-Wednesday meme post about Anne Patchett’s State of Wonder, being published in June 2011. Having been given Bel Canto by a best friend, the publication of State of Wonder not only provides me with a (hopefully) enraptured new reading experience, but will give the added pleasure of sharing yet another wonderful book with my best friend(s).

This week’s Follow Friday question:

What is/was your favorite subject in school?

This was and still is a tie between English and that category known as “Social Studies”. In terms of Social Studies, I don’t just mean history, because dates are the bane of my existence, and I don’t just mean sociology, because I’m interested in more than social systems; I mean the two of them put together. When I was in 8th grade, my classmates both hated and loved me for my ability to ask a seemingly innocuous question that the teacher would then spend 25 minutes answering; loved it if they wanted to goof off in class, hated it if they just wanted to move on to the next topic. I remember in my yearbook for that year, my Social Studies teacher wrote something about me doing well with a career in English and being so insulted because I wanted to be an Anthropologist and teach cultural studies. I can’t say he was wrong, though, as I currently work in publishing. In terms of English, well, when you read as much as I do, it’s sort of a natural fit. I double-majored in college, English with a focus in children’s literature, Anthropology with a focus in Native American studies, wrote two theses, and though I now have an MFA in Writing Literature for Children, still dream of getting my dual JD/PhD in Legal Anthropology. I’m young, there’s still plenty of time for many new careers.

9 thoughts on “Book Blogger Hop & Follow Friday

1. I'm a new follower. I actually want to work in publishing! My favorite subject was always English, and now I'm majoring in it in college.

Posted by Kayla | January 28, 2011, 4:29 pm
  2. I've never read Patchett, but I'm always hearing good things. I started out college as a Sociology major, but switched to English in my senior year. Then I got an M.A. in Literature, although an MFA was always on my radar.Here is my hop this week: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/01/book-blogger-hop-anticipating-in-2011.html

Posted by LBC | January 28, 2011, 7:23 pm
  3. Hi there! New follower from the hop here. The book I am looking forward to doesn't come out for another 2 years! Come and read my post at http://www.mandysescape.blogspot.com

Posted by MANDY | January 28, 2011, 9:30 pm
  4. I didn't know Ann Patchett had a new book coming out. Yea! Thanks for the heads-up!Have a good weekend!

Posted by Kay | January 28, 2011, 10:30 pm
  5. The book I’m most expecting in 2011 is by an author I crossed off my “Favorite author” list.He’s back on that list now.Who’s the author? Raymond Feist? What’s the book? A Kindgom Besieged.Hop on over to my website to read all about it – http://www.howardsherman.netHoward A. Sherman, ImplementorGet Inside a Storyhttp://www.inthestory.com

Posted by Howard Sherman | January 28, 2011, 11:37 pm
  6. Favorite subject in school would be an impossible question for me since it varied from year to year. The only class I didn't like was physics and I think it was the classs, not the subject that I disliked.I'm hopping around trying NOT to pick up too many more must read ideas to add to my list. So many books, so little time!

Posted by Susan (Reading World) | January 29, 2011, 2:51 am
  7. HI hopping on through to wish you a Happy Weekend!My fave subject was History.My FF and Blog hops

Posted by BLHmistress | January 29, 2011, 4:25 am
  8. I love your header! I worked at in independent children's bookstore for 6 years, and enjoyed it so much.I put together a list of books I'm looking forward to about a week ago.http://www.madiganreads.com/2011/01/most-anticipated-books-for-spring-2011.html2011 is going to be a great year for books.So many people are saying English was their favorite subject… My favorite subject was Art, although I haven't done any art in such a long time. I'm left handed, and very right-brained.

Posted by Madigan McGillicuddy | January 29, 2011, 3:06 pm
  9. Hi,Just hopping by and following through.I loved Society and Culture – a senior subject that is a mix of what you describedShelleyrae @ Book'd Outwww.bookdout.wordpress.com

Posted by bookdout | January 30, 2011, 5:20 am

Loving the #Halloween book display @quailridgebooks!
#readstagram #readwithme #readmore #reading #read #spooky #instaread #instabook #indiesfirst #shoplocal #bookstore #bookshop #bookshelves #display #spookyreads #book #books #bookrec #bookworm #bookish #booklove #booklover #quailreads #childrensbooks #picturebooks Couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of THE WORLD SHINES FOR YOU by Jeffrey Burton and @icreature for @simonkids!
Gorgeous illustrations pop with foil pieces that highlight the words of this simple book, perfect for even the youngest reader. The sweetly lyrical text leads the reader from one - a tree - to many - the forest - and beyond, with each turn of the page showing more and more complex scenes through fall, winter, spring, summer, country, city, morning, and night, until we reach the end where the whole world is shining. I immediately wanted to read it again. For all ages, but especially 1-3-year-olds.
#bookrecommendations #bookreview #bookrec #book #books #bookish #bookworm #bookstagram #booklover #instabook #instaread #read #reading #readmore #readwithme #readstagram Completed road trip book 1, including a brief review (review below).
#booklove #bookrec #bookish #books #book #bookstagram #bookworm #booklover #bookstagrammer #instaread #instabook #readstagram #read #reading #readmore #readwithme #readmorebooks #bookreview #bookrecommendations #jdrobb #noraroberts #indeath . . .
DARK IN DEATH by JD ROBB

Does not disappoint! Another solid read in the In Death series by JD Robb. I've been reading this series since 2013, since before she came out as Nora Roberts, and I keep expecting the next book and then the next book and then the next book to dip in terms of quality of style and content and originality, but it just doesn't (thank goodness!). In #46, Dark in Death, JD ROBB almost makes a play on her own life in ways, as Eve is after a murderer who finds inspiration in a specific author's murder mysteries. Robb literally pays homage to the master of the meta, Hitchcock, with mentions of Psycho and Dial M for Murder, and I'm pretty sure the author she describes is modeled after Robb herself (physically). The plot is pretty tight and focused, but we still get glimpses of Peabody & McNab; Leonardo, Mavis, & Bella; Somerset is still off on holiday; and there is just a peek at the growing romantic interest in Nadine's life, as well as a preview of Nadine's next best-seller based on Eve's police work. I'm looking forward to a future book of Robb's that I'm sure will go into further detail either about Nadine's upcoming Oscar nomination for the first book/movie or the publication and what I'm sure will be subsequent movie of the second book. Enjoy! Weekend road trip, book 1! One of my favorite murder mystery series by the prolific JD Robb aka Nora Roberts. I discovered NAKED IN DEATH (#1) in 2003 and have been reading it ever since. So excited to see what adventure happens in #46! Pub date: January 2018
#instabook #instaread #bookstagrammer #bookstagram #readstagram #read #reading #readmore #readmorebooks #readwithme #book #books #bookish #bookrec #booklove #jdrobb #noraroberts