Series: Book Blogger Hop, Series: Follow Friday

Book Blogger Hop & Follow Friday

Busy week, work-wise, meaning slow week, blogging-wise, but I’m always thrilled to participate in the weekly Book Blogger Hop and Follow Friday memes.

This week’s Book Blogger Hop question:

What book are you most looking forward to seeing published in 2011? Why are you anticipating that book?

I think I’m going to have to pull from a previous Waiting-on-Wednesday meme post about Anne Patchett’s State of Wonder, being published in June 2011. Having been given Bel Canto by a best friend, the publication of State of Wonder not only provides me with a (hopefully) enraptured new reading experience, but will give the added pleasure of sharing yet another wonderful book with my best friend(s).

This week’s Follow Friday question:

What is/was your favorite subject in school?

This was and still is a tie between English and that category known as “Social Studies”. In terms of Social Studies, I don’t just mean history, because dates are the bane of my existence, and I don’t just mean sociology, because I’m interested in more than social systems; I mean the two of them put together. When I was in 8th grade, my classmates both hated and loved me for my ability to ask a seemingly innocuous question that the teacher would then spend 25 minutes answering; loved it if they wanted to goof off in class, hated it if they just wanted to move on to the next topic. I remember in my yearbook for that year, my Social Studies teacher wrote something about me doing well with a career in English and being so insulted because I wanted to be an Anthropologist and teach cultural studies. I can’t say he was wrong, though, as I currently work in publishing. In terms of English, well, when you read as much as I do, it’s sort of a natural fit. I double-majored in college, English with a focus in children’s literature, Anthropology with a focus in Native American studies, wrote two theses, and though I now have an MFA in Writing Literature for Children, still dream of getting my dual JD/PhD in Legal Anthropology. I’m young, there’s still plenty of time for many new careers.

9 thoughts on “Book Blogger Hop & Follow Friday

1. I'm a new follower. I actually want to work in publishing! My favorite subject was always English, and now I'm majoring in it in college.

Posted by Kayla | January 28, 2011, 4:29 pm
  2. I've never read Patchett, but I'm always hearing good things. I started out college as a Sociology major, but switched to English in my senior year. Then I got an M.A. in Literature, although an MFA was always on my radar.Here is my hop this week: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/01/book-blogger-hop-anticipating-in-2011.html

Posted by LBC | January 28, 2011, 7:23 pm
  3. Hi there! New follower from the hop here. The book I am looking forward to doesn't come out for another 2 years! Come and read my post at http://www.mandysescape.blogspot.com

Posted by MANDY | January 28, 2011, 9:30 pm
  4. I didn't know Ann Patchett had a new book coming out. Yea! Thanks for the heads-up!Have a good weekend!

Posted by Kay | January 28, 2011, 10:30 pm
  5. The book I’m most expecting in 2011 is by an author I crossed off my “Favorite author” list.He’s back on that list now.Who’s the author? Raymond Feist? What’s the book? A Kindgom Besieged.Hop on over to my website to read all about it – http://www.howardsherman.netHoward A. Sherman, ImplementorGet Inside a Storyhttp://www.inthestory.com

Posted by Howard Sherman | January 28, 2011, 11:37 pm
  6. Favorite subject in school would be an impossible question for me since it varied from year to year. The only class I didn't like was physics and I think it was the classs, not the subject that I disliked.I'm hopping around trying NOT to pick up too many more must read ideas to add to my list. So many books, so little time!

Posted by Susan (Reading World) | January 29, 2011, 2:51 am
  7. HI hopping on through to wish you a Happy Weekend!My fave subject was History.My FF and Blog hops

Posted by BLHmistress | January 29, 2011, 4:25 am
  8. I love your header! I worked at in independent children's bookstore for 6 years, and enjoyed it so much.I put together a list of books I'm looking forward to about a week ago.http://www.madiganreads.com/2011/01/most-anticipated-books-for-spring-2011.html2011 is going to be a great year for books.So many people are saying English was their favorite subject… My favorite subject was Art, although I haven't done any art in such a long time. I'm left handed, and very right-brained.

Posted by Madigan McGillicuddy | January 29, 2011, 3:06 pm
  9. Hi,Just hopping by and following through.I loved Society and Culture – a senior subject that is a mix of what you describedShelleyrae @ Book'd Outwww.bookdout.wordpress.com

Posted by bookdout | January 30, 2011, 5:20 am